Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Praying For Sonja

Our poor little baby is in the hospital at 2 weeks old. She has RSV and Pneumonia. She caught the RSV from Jayna and Xander, but it is just going around like crazy this time of year. I am here at the hospital with her now. Jason took the night shift, bless him, and I am taking the day shift. It is so horrible to watch your child go through anything, much less a newborn having to spend days in the hospital. We have awesome family and friend support, and lots of prayers going up for her.

I took all of the kids to the doctor Monday morning because they have all been sick, and the baby was starting to cough and that worried me. I had their Auntie Carmen come and help me because bringing 3 kids under 4 to anything is insanity (haha). The PA was the one who saw the kids. She started with Jayna- she has 2 ear infections and was given steroids to help with lung inflammation. Xander was next- he has 1 ear infection, was also put on the steroids, and also a breathing machine. He's pretty sick, I am so sad I can't be there with him now. Last she looked at Sonja. With how young she is and the fact that the PA thought she heard some wheazing in her lungs, they sent us straight to the hospital. That was totally unexpected for me. Sonja just barely started coughing Thursday evening, so I just assumed they would put her on antibiotics and send her home like everyone else. The kids went home with Carmen and I headed to the ER.

5 hours and numerous tests went by. Blood, urine, and spinal fluid (horrible) tests were conducted. An x-ray was also taken, and a snot test for RSV. The x-ray and the snot test revealed that she has RSV as well as pneumonia, and the spinal test told us that she had bacterial pnuemonia (vs. viral). We finally were given a room at 6pm... almost 6 hours after we arrived here. And here we are, having Sonja hooked up on antibiotics and monitors. It really is heartbreaking. I just pray that everything goes smoothly and she heals extra fast. I want to bring her home and get home to my other babies.

Last night I brought the older 2 kids' medicines to them. They are with aunt carmen and grandma and grandpa. I was relieved because they wanted to stay there, they didn't even cry to come with me. I am so thankful that they love it at grandmas house. It would be so hard if they were in an unfamiliar place.

Anyways, that is all the information I have for now. I am sitting here with Sonja trying to have a Lord of the Rings marathon, for lack of absolutely anything else to do! I have never seen them before, so I may as well.

****The pediatrician just came in. Said she is "safe"- meaning nothing is life threatening, and that all of the other tests came back negative. So were are soley dealing with the RSV and pneumonia. Thank goodness.

2 comments:

  1. Oh hun I'm so sorry!! But I've been in the E.R. with Danica and she's had RSV/Bronchitis - it will get better. Sonja as well as you and Jas and the two kiddos are in our prayers!
    Let me know if you need anything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are praying for you all to have a healthy recovery. We've been really sick here as well, and although I don't have an infant anymore, I know how scary it can be to have a sick little one. This year seems to be worse than any other I've ever seen with sickness.
    Ashley had a double ear infection and tonsilitis 2 weeks ago. Sunday, Logan and I both had the flu and since last night, Lauryn has been throwing up. It seems we've all been sick all winter long!
    We will be praying for little Sonja and you guys as well!! Keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete